.
  Rent a Car                            view  
  Tulum                            view  

CHACCHOBEN

DETAILS
Archaeological Zone Edzná
Campeche, México
Maya
Clásico
08:00 a 17:00
$45.00
 

History

Edzná is a Mayan archaeological site is located in the Valley of Edzná, in the northern state of Campeche, Mexico. This ancient Mayan city is located 50 kilometers from the city of Campeche. You can reach the site by the federal highways 180 and 261.

Its name comes from an ancient word maya-yucateco, probably referring to the itzáes. Itza Maya is a patronymic that was extended to several groups putunes or Chontales originate in the southwest of Campeche. If this were the case, Edzná mean "House of Itzáes." Another possibility is that means "House of echo," which would make sense since such acoustic phenomenon occurs between some of the main buildings there. A third meaning might be "House of gestures," due to mascarón stucco that is thought to exist in the crestería the tallest building in the area.

The site was one of the most important cities of the Maya civilization, because it made big advances in technology. Because of the type of soil in the valley, he usually flooded in rainy season and the area remains highly humidity throughout the year. To fix this, the Mayans developed a system of waterworks: built a network of canals drenaban the valley was flooded when water and led to a gap with retaining walls, but other channels were also used to irrigate fields. That prompted the land would optimum moisture for the crop, in addition to the channels provided abundant fisheries, were used as a means of communication and even could serve as a means of defense. The squares of the city also had major drainage systems carrying water to artificial reservoirs called chultunes.

The city of Edzná had numerous religious buildings, administrative and housing, occupying an area of approximately 206 square kilometers. The most important construction of the plaza, also called core set or Great Acropolis, is the main temple. This Templo-palacio consists of a basement stair step pyramid with five bodies, with many people outwardly and in the highest part construction which is the temple. Built on a platform 40 meters high, provides a broad view of the surroundings. The ladder rungs this building has ever had taped texts geroglíficos, probably related to the history of the city, which could decifrar date 652 AD Also, the square was decorated with carved stelae referring to their gods, their rulers and important events of his religious and political life.

     
 

Importance of place

The "House of Itzáes" is a place where we found a score of monumental buildings that we speak of the concentration of political power, economic and religious events in Pre-Columbian times especially between the years 600 and 1200 of our era.

Edzná was a regional capital in which its inhabitants built an ingenious system of comprehensive and long channels and reservoirs to capture, store and distribute water.

He also had wide pavements stone reported several architectural most important. In Edzná also can be seen several architectural styles that occurred over time: Petén Chenes, and Late Puuc.

Of particular importance in this site of the five-story building, which is built on a large platform that gives great architectural majesty

.

 
     

 

     
 

Location

Edzná is located 61 km. Southeast of the city of Campeche. Access is done by the federal highway 180; at km. 45 takes a diversion to the highway 261 which leads to the archeological zone. Another avenue leading to the archeological area is the road that passes through the towns of Chiná Pocyaxum and Nohacal at a distance of 48 kilometers from the city of Campeche.

 

 
     
Chacchoben map
     
 

Principal Structures

At the heart of Edzná is home to the Main Plaza, a large square on which east sits the largest number of tombs of the site in their areas north and south there are two sacbés or roads that were used for internal circulation.

The Platform of Knives was aposentos vaulted into the extremes and its central sector was reused to build more modest rooms roofed with perishable materials. The courtyard of the Ambassadors is bounded to the west by 2 buildings, each with four columns that correspond to the years 1000-1200 AD

The Nohochná (Casa Grande) was possibly used to exercise administrative functions, but could also function as a sort of stands to attend events held in the main square. This structure has four large galleries on the upper half, which was formed in vain for access through thick pilasters.

The Temple South comprises 5 bodies with moldings and flown corners remetidas that converge at its rear, in a wide slope, on which stands the temple dating from between the years 600 and 900 AD

Play Ball is composed of two parallel structures whose top stand some rooms that were possibly used to place them in the images of the deities associated with the event and the attachments own game and its participants.

The Great Acropolis is a broad area of plant quadrangular on which stand several monumental structures, such as the building of Five Flats, a construction of 5 levels with crestería and vaulted rooms that has a broad staircase at its base west, which on their peraltes has glyphs that indicate the date 652 AD

The Temple Northern consisted of a long basement broad staircase whose main axis leads to one or two crujías elongated, that were subsequently stopped for añadírseles panels remetidos, some decorated with tamborcillos and wide slopes. The sanctuary which was crowned at least four changes. Faced with this temple is located a platform in the form of C corresponding to the occupation more late Edzná: 1200-1400 AD

El Patio Puuc is bounded by several buildings coated with ashlars quadrangular, rectangular and cylindrical well carved. In the North Building also appreciate ashlars with triangles and circles in relief forming large frames. The construction comes curved slopes with a curious sculpture in the form of framework square with performances of Chaac and glyphs, which are observed celestial bands, the day Imix and month Yax. Just at the entrance to the courtyard is located on Main Temazcal, names of origin Nahuatl whose translation into Mayan Yucatán is chokó sintumbilhá, which refers to a steam bath, access to which was restricted by its religious significance.

The Old Hechicera is located 800 northwest of Buildings Five Floors. At its eastern side has a staircase, the bodies of the basement presented rounded corners and remetidas, and at the top of the structure there is a small shrine.

The Temple of Mascarones has two representations of the sun god at dawn and evening, made of stucco modeling; both masks have anthropomorphic characteristics with attributes own aesthetic of the elite, such as estrabismo, dental mutilation, narigueras, orejeras and large zoomorfos touched.

Small Acropolis is a basement floor quadrangular dating from 200 BC, in whose top there are 4 buildings forming a central courtyard. Some of the most ancient Edzná come from this place: a great mascarón stucco of Preclásico Superior, three steles of the eighth baktún (between years 41 and 435 AD) and pottery dating between the years 400 and 250 a.C
 
     
 

2003 - 2007 Cancun Maya Riviera. All rights reserved
powered by Internet Móvil